Monday 4 June 2012

THE OTHER LIVING ROOM OF OURS


As some of you possibly might recall me saying here a few times the past year, I've been waiting rather eagerly to be able to start the renovation in the house in the countryside. (In real life I feel I haven't talked about much else the times we've been out there. Which is quite often. Been rather obsessive about it actually.)  In winter I actually thought we'd get some things done during spring but I was perhaps a little too positive about it...

The living room needs new wall paper (nothing wrong with the old one, except for it is are getting a bit old and loose here and there, plus have some cracks. And a door has been moved so there's a 'naked' spot covered by a curtain and so on. Oh yeah, plus the pattern is upside down :) Also, the floor and ceiling will be changed to more authentic materials. Eventually.


So in the meantime I've been getting some new furniture and moving those, and the old ones, around the room.



The room wasn't really structured before, as the furniture was really just put there without any function or planning.


The sofa I mentioned earlier I bought from Bukowskis online auction house (around the same time as I got the lamps). It is a classic "Samsas" by Swedens grand old furniture guy, Carl Malmsten. The sofa is still in production, but this one however is old.


I also got another sofa, or a canapé actually, rather affordably from Bukowskis. It is from the late 1800's.


The fabric however is newer, and a little worn down. I might have it re-draped at some point in a greenish tone. But goes pretty well along with the wallpaper for now.


Pretty much everything else is vintage too and has been in the house for long, or then in some of the other houses on the farm.


The chairs I got new from Ikea however. The 1930's lamp behind it is also from Bukowskis.
They must love me by now.


I always say one should avoid too many different shades of  wood in one room. It just does not look good. That's one issue here, due to the old gathered furniture and the old choice to make the door frames and such in wood and not white (sigh) - although it does not look that bad as the room is pretty big. I plan to oil the chairs a bit darker though, to go along with the rest better.

But it will all look very different anyway with the new colours we have in mind -it's all picked out already, wall paper, floor paint and so on...


I put up some "temporary" curtains to somewhat cover the windows; I don't like it their reddish brown wood colour. I will paint them white, like the original windows have been.


Outside the window the apple trees are blooming.
Soon the flowers will loose their leaves to the ground which will be full of white then. I quite poetically refer to it as the time when the apple trees weep. Or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment